- Member for
- 5 years 1 month 2 weeks
- Full Name
- Joe Romley
Value-driven Operations / Administrative Executive and In-House Counsel with demonstrated success directing and managing all back-office business functions. Recognized for leading strategic initiatives and business efficiency projects that improve top and bottom line performance, increase service levels, and align business operations with changing customer requirements and corporate objectives. Detail oriented with excellent leadership, problem solving, and communication skills. Expertise includes:
Business Process Improvement & Efficiency
Human Resources & Employee Relations
Benefit Program Design & Implementation
Contract Drafting & Negotiations
Data Privacy & Security Compliance
Project Planning & Direction
Mergers & Acquisitions
Revenue Recognition & GAAP
Purchasing & Equipment Management
Due Diligence & Legal Compliance
Risk Management & Insurance
- Job Title
- Chief Administrative Officer & General Counsel
- Computer Software
- Operations / Administration & In-house Counsel
- Business Description
Accountable for positions of increasing responsibility in all areas of corporate administration. Provided leadership to Human Resources, Legal, IT, Facilities Management, Accounting, Risk Management, and Purchasing departments. Advised other executives on strategic business decisions, providing proactive and practical guidance to increase revenues, profits, and reputation, while mitigating financial, tax, and legal exposure. Served as Corporate Secretary. Retained to manage integration and transfer of control.
Operations / Facilities / Negotiations
· Grew infrastructure (insurance, benefits, facilities, equipment, and policies) of "mom and pop" shop to support substantial employee growth. Reduced costs while improving resources, protection, and employee satisfaction and retention.
· Negotiated and closed $2.5 million strategic software licensing deal with a Canadian services vendor, accounting for 22% of annual revenue. Oversaw implementation and delivery of required software products, services, and training.
· Communicated directly with prospects and clients to negotiate and close critical software sales, increasing company growth and profitability, while structuring transactions to comply with detailed software revenue recognition rules.
· Oversaw design and implementation of financial, human resource, and phone software systems.
· Renewed and acquired new long term office leases with several financial incentives. Advised President to avoid expensive short-term renewal in favor of long-term expansion. Negotiated rate, term, and legal provisions saving $874,000 (18%) over length of lease.
· Planned, designed, and oversaw all aspects of building selection, tenant improvement design and construction, and move to new facilities for three major projects. Managed $1 million tenant improvement allowance on last project, completing on time and 10% under budget.
Human Resources / Benefits
· Provided day-to-day direction on all aspects of human resources function, including staffing, compensation and benefits, performance management, legal compliance, and succession planning.
· Designed and administered self-funded medical / dental plan, cafeteria benefits plan, 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement plan, and Incentive Stock Option plan. Subsequently replaced self-funded medical plan with fully insured plan, obtaining first year savings of $300,000 (30%).
· Coached executives and managers regarding staffing and employment issues.
· Overhauled employee handbook and oversaw design of new employee orientation program.
· Interviewed, selected, championed, hired, and mentored Controller who quickly showed outstanding ability and was promoted to Vice President / Controller in less than 18 months.
· Drafted comprehensive compensation plans to avoid misinterpretation and potential litigation.
M&A / Legal / Compliance / Data Privacy
· Spearheaded and led all aspects of $17 million sale of Spectrum to Epicor Software Corporation. Recognized with "Outstanding Deal Team Leadership" award from investment bankers.
· Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of commercial agreements, including license, hosting, service, confidentiality, outsourcing, lease, and joint venture agreements. Simplified existing contracts to increase sales and streamline sales process. Reviewed and negotiated all outside agreements.
· Drafted and implemented HIPAA privacy and security policies, oversaw SAS 70 (now SSAE 16) and SysTrust audits, obtained EU Safe Harbor self-certification, and initiated compliance with other privacy laws and regulations, leading to client retention and growth of software hosting to over $2 million (14% of total revenue).
· Conducted due diligence inquiries on all M&A and joint venture opportunities, providing financial, legal, and reputational protection.
· Registered, managed, and protected all U.S. and Canadian trademarks.
· Hired and liaised with outside counsel on employment, partner, and client-related litigation.